Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sewing into a New Year

 Check out the updated Class Dates Page for 2011 classes

'Red Shoe Dog'
In the November post 'Making Christmas Lanterns' I brought you photos of the quilt I was making for a new baby and promised you more. I am pleased to say it is finished and here are the photos..........


Pinned and ready to quilt. 
 
For baby quilts I like to prewash and dry the cotton batting in a clothes dryer.
 This makes it pretty shrink proof

I pieced the back in wide strips to use up the left over fabric





Now for the fun part
..... free motion quilting

I started by outlining the stars, the bike, the dog and the bird. Then I stippled the background behind the stars. Next job was the foreground infills and finally baby's name in contrasting colour.



Machine in Use

I love quilting with this machine. It has the power to move smoothly through the quilt with even tension, comes with a large extension table and has plenty of under arm space.

This machine is available to use in the Urban Sewing Lounge







Adding the Binding
  I add the binding before trimming the excess batting & backing fabric because I find it much more stable and easy to sew.





Finished Quilt

Large Purse

 Pattern by Anni Downs in her book "In the life of a Bag"

A few special people in my life received one of these for Christmas
But I must confess to still having 2 cut out and unfinished


With all the festivities over its back to the sewing lounge to bring you some new samples.....

No comments:

Post a Comment