Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sewing & Sunshine

Don't look now
I took my sewing machine on holidays and made this
bright & cheerful cushion designed by Australian
Kellie Wulfsohn and called  
First Day of Christmas
This pattern comes with fabulous instructions and tips for free motion machine sewing and inserting a zipper into the back of the cushion. Find this and all of Kellie's patterns at her blogsite

Next I had a scrap quilt to finish
(This one had been lurking in the back of the cupboard for a few years) 
It is a quilt-as-you-go scrap quilt that I had sewed one border on. I'd packed it away and then lost track of where the rest of the backing fabric was. Finally during a clean out I found the backing and set my sights on finishing it off. It has a flannel back so it is really cosy and soft.
Here I am quilting continuously up and down the border strips. Note that I leave 3/4" unstitched where I will attach it to the quilt. For this quilt I used the direct joining technique for the front and hand stitched the back joins.
I attached a scrappy binding and here it is all finished. This one is for Dad to snuggle under this winter.

Sunshine Coast, Queensland , Australia - Holiday Destination
Come on down and enjoy all that Australia has to offer 
Watch the sun rise over the ocean
 Take an early morning beach walk
You can walk for miles & miles on white sand
 Go for a paddle on a tidal lake by the ocean
 find something interesting on the beach
like this shell encrusted rope
 Watch the 'wormers' at work
and in the late afternoon
join the people making the most of the afternoon sunshine at Mooloolabah Beach
or watch the lifesavers do some off duty training at Kawana Beach
I was trying out some special effects with my camera  - black & white with only warm colours
 
 Here is a quick preview of what I am working on next 
it is big, bright and bold
 Bye for now - Linda





No comments:

Post a Comment